Pages

Friday, April 13, 2012

Thunder and Lightning

No one ever seems to say "Lightning and Thunder". I get why, of course. It just sounds better. But why? Lightning is earlier in alphabetical order. The first vowel in it is earlier in alphabetical order. The last consonant is. So what's the deal? English is weird sometimes. I think many phrases that consist of a two word list like that sound good the way they are solely because thats the way people always say them, and we're all just used to it. Of course, whatever possessed people to say them in this blasphemous un-(or is it non?)-alphabetical order beats me.

Moving on from grammar and confusion to Thunder and Lightning (or possibly Lightning and Thunder).

There was a storm last night. It was one of those storms where the lightning is cold, bright and flickering white that looks like a camera flash on the opposite wall. The thunder was the kind so frequent that an entire minute could theoretically be filled with non stop noise.

I was just getting over a fever and a bad cold. I'm sort of glad the fever was mostly gone. Last time I had a high fever, I was little, and refused to take the sickly sweet pink syrup that was and always will be void of all that is good in the world. And so, I didn't take the medicine, and my parents got tired of trying to make me. Then I started hallucinating. I was jumping around in my room shouting "Sparks! Sparks in my bed!". Then, since I had seen bed-knobs and broomsticks the night before, I apparently was convinced that "I'm a fish. I have fins..." and not too happy about it. The only one I actually remember seeing through my fever addled brain was in the bathtub, looking out at a medieval town full of horses, and crying and muttering "all the people". It seems funny to me now, but my parents were freaked out.

Anyway, back to the dynamic duo, LT or TL...

Humph. Apparently I have nothing more to say about the alleged dynamic duo. Oh, well.

So long.

-Shadow

EDIT: This was a sentence I just edited- "I think many phrases that consist of a two word kist like that sound good ..." "kist" is a word?! Apparently it can mean any of these things.

4 comments:

  1. PEPTO-BISMOL IS AWFUL.
    There, got that out. Sorry about your fever and cold . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and I hereby award you 10 Kudos Pigeons for the posting idea!
    EDIT: buropm whouncer

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, the stresses of the phrase (thunder and lightning = \. . \..) is catchier than lightning and thunder (\.. . \.).
    EDIT: tentanee mookan
    eionstic emslatel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! Glad you're back, SPC! PS: I posted a tidbit from Therrorah's perspective in ST.

    ReplyDelete