Pages

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Mirrors, Doors, and Eyes

Note: This is a scheduled post that I'm trying (it was, but I got bored and published it...)(actually, scratch that, it really is scheduled *facepalm* I changed my mind...again), so I picked a random time. I also can't think of anything to write, so I used Nix's tried and true method of picking two objects in the room (a mirror and a door) and then eyes came to mind, and presto.


Part the First: Eyes.
I have a fascination with them. All of my story protagonists have interesting colored eyes. Even my supporting characters always have a distinct eye color. It usually appears in the first paragraph they;'re in. Look, I'll even give excerpts from the description of protagonists in my books:


The Emerald Door, started a couple years ago, currently abandoned- 
Yuri Whitewater, protagonist: He had dark hair, and had different colored eyes. one a stormy grey blue with flecks of green in it, the other a deep violet.


An unnamed story in a place called Dome City, I started it a year ago and it's still going-
Zarren (An...interesting name choice): I can't find it it the book, but he has "unearthly" amber eyes.


And my Pagelore book, which has a lot of characters, one with amazingly bright green eyes, one with brown with flecks of gold, one with completely black irises and pupils that burn gold, one with pale blue, one with violet eyes, and more.


OK, so maybe the excerpt idea didn't go as well as I thought. But when I imagine a character, I always seem to go for the eyes.


Part the Second: Mirrors and Doors
I love making magical mirrors, magical doors and portals to other worlds, or mirrors that are actually doors, or doors with mirrors behind them, or...well, the list goes on and on. Probably the most prominent example of this is the first story I had an excerpt from. The main character goes into an abandoned house, finds an emerald green door with ivy twining around it, opens it, sees a green mirror, falls in, end up the in the "Mirror World" where magic is real, finds that there are more magical doors there, has reoccurring dreams involving a door, and more. To say the least, it's a bit much.

1 comment:

  1. How funny. . .

    that we writers never describe our characters' noses.

    ouveld oupplize

    aleade drincese

    ReplyDelete