As some of you may know, I like D&D. I'm not fanatical, but it's super awesome and I have a gazilion books and a gazilion more experimental characters.
I was recently introduced to "Pathfinder", a game much like D&D.
Here is a very brief history:
in some year before 2000, a company called Wizards of the Coast bought the origional makers of d&d, and stayed true to it for quite a while, and through 1 new rule book. Then came 4.0, which was sponsored by a toy company, and had more focus on map tiles, minis, and buying books. It's still an amazingly good game, but not quite true to the 3.5 addition. Pathfinder split off a while ago, and is truer to the original.
Pathfinder is pretty awesome. My character, Kyras, is a level ten sorcerer who specializes in huge areas of offensive magic. He apparently draws power from the void between stars.
A friend I made in the group I play with makes...quirky characters. His latest is a Bard (think magical musician) who is so dexterous he can literally dodge the ground he's standing on. Not fly, or levitate, or even magically enhance himself. No, he can dodge the ground. His "quirk" is that his weapon of choice is a bladed scarf (A red scarf with a blade in it...), and he likes to play with dolls. A bit creepy, but OK. Possibly more creepy when you learn he specializes in mind control magic.
His former character was a necromancer whose magic always took the form of things to do with flowers. Don't ask me how he raised a zombie, but it probably involved rose petals.
The thing about Pathfinder is that certain mechanics make more sense. For instance, if you cast a powerful spell in D&D, you lose that spell for the rest of the day. In Pathfinder, you have a certain number of casts per day of any given strength of a spell. This means that you can cast fireball more than once a day if you sacrifice casting invisibility, fly, or blink, which makes a lot of sense. At least to me.
Another cool thing is the Wish spell. Yes, the wish spell. It can't do anything. Well, not quite. But you can say "I wish that blah blah blah blah blah...", and whatever the blahs meant, you get it. Sometimes. There are, of course, drawbacks...
The only weird thing is this: Warlocks don't exist. OK, fine, they do, but only as a wimpy, third party class. There is a Witch class, a summoner class, an oracle class, a druid class, an anti-paladin (evil holy warrior) class, and even monk and alchemyst. But no Warlock. *sigh*
I still play D&D occasionally, and me and a friend are creating a steampunk and fantasy post apocalyptic roleplaying game which is going to be EPIC.
OK, so if most of this confuses you, sorry. But I had to post, and this interests me.
I was recently introduced to "Pathfinder", a game much like D&D.
Here is a very brief history:
in some year before 2000, a company called Wizards of the Coast bought the origional makers of d&d, and stayed true to it for quite a while, and through 1 new rule book. Then came 4.0, which was sponsored by a toy company, and had more focus on map tiles, minis, and buying books. It's still an amazingly good game, but not quite true to the 3.5 addition. Pathfinder split off a while ago, and is truer to the original.
Pathfinder is pretty awesome. My character, Kyras, is a level ten sorcerer who specializes in huge areas of offensive magic. He apparently draws power from the void between stars.
A friend I made in the group I play with makes...quirky characters. His latest is a Bard (think magical musician) who is so dexterous he can literally dodge the ground he's standing on. Not fly, or levitate, or even magically enhance himself. No, he can dodge the ground. His "quirk" is that his weapon of choice is a bladed scarf (A red scarf with a blade in it...), and he likes to play with dolls. A bit creepy, but OK. Possibly more creepy when you learn he specializes in mind control magic.
His former character was a necromancer whose magic always took the form of things to do with flowers. Don't ask me how he raised a zombie, but it probably involved rose petals.
The thing about Pathfinder is that certain mechanics make more sense. For instance, if you cast a powerful spell in D&D, you lose that spell for the rest of the day. In Pathfinder, you have a certain number of casts per day of any given strength of a spell. This means that you can cast fireball more than once a day if you sacrifice casting invisibility, fly, or blink, which makes a lot of sense. At least to me.
Another cool thing is the Wish spell. Yes, the wish spell. It can't do anything. Well, not quite. But you can say "I wish that blah blah blah blah blah...", and whatever the blahs meant, you get it. Sometimes. There are, of course, drawbacks...
The only weird thing is this: Warlocks don't exist. OK, fine, they do, but only as a wimpy, third party class. There is a Witch class, a summoner class, an oracle class, a druid class, an anti-paladin (evil holy warrior) class, and even monk and alchemyst. But no Warlock. *sigh*
I still play D&D occasionally, and me and a friend are creating a steampunk and fantasy post apocalyptic roleplaying game which is going to be EPIC.
OK, so if most of this confuses you, sorry. But I had to post, and this interests me.
No comments:
Post a Comment