Everyone gets it. Everyone hates it. I loathe it.
I imagine my writers block, at times, as an accident on the road of my plot-line, or a dead end. This is a particularly apt analogy because every time I get writer's block, I see error in the last chapter I wrote, and cut in entirely. Then I go off in another direction, like, say, changing perspective. I go along this path for around one or two chapters, and then...another block.
I suck at getting rid of writer's block. I really do try, but I just slump in-front of the computer and start talking to my self.
"Maybe if I...
...no, that wouldn't work...
...or how about..."
and so forth.
Right now I have writer's block that isn't so much a road block as a huge, mile wide chasm opened up in the ground by a cartoon earthquake.
On the other hand, I've started writing a script (I may continue it for script frenzy, because I don't want to make a new one.) The protagonist is based off of a character that a playwriting workshop I was in collectively created. Her name is Betsy. She's 15, has brown hair in a ponytail, large glasses.
And she thinks she can walk through walls.
As you can imagine, this causes a lot of difficulty. She hurts herself more than once, and is an orphan as well. Her parents died in a car accident when she was about 8, and she was playing at being a super hero with her dad directly before, so all the trauma and shock drove her rather insane. A doctor got her to believe that she temporarily lost her "powers" for some reason, and that she has to rest. Now, at 15, she has been shipped off to home after home, and is unhappy at all of them. She also still thinks she can walk through walls, and at the few homes that she likes, she tells the parents, and they send her straight back.
Anyway, that's Betsy's Story. (The name of the play, BTW).
Please give feedback on:
a) How to get rid of writer's chasm.
b) The fragment of the plot of the play.
-Shadow
I imagine my writers block, at times, as an accident on the road of my plot-line, or a dead end. This is a particularly apt analogy because every time I get writer's block, I see error in the last chapter I wrote, and cut in entirely. Then I go off in another direction, like, say, changing perspective. I go along this path for around one or two chapters, and then...another block.
I suck at getting rid of writer's block. I really do try, but I just slump in-front of the computer and start talking to my self.
"Maybe if I...
...no, that wouldn't work...
...or how about..."
and so forth.
Right now I have writer's block that isn't so much a road block as a huge, mile wide chasm opened up in the ground by a cartoon earthquake.
On the other hand, I've started writing a script (I may continue it for script frenzy, because I don't want to make a new one.) The protagonist is based off of a character that a playwriting workshop I was in collectively created. Her name is Betsy. She's 15, has brown hair in a ponytail, large glasses.
And she thinks she can walk through walls.
As you can imagine, this causes a lot of difficulty. She hurts herself more than once, and is an orphan as well. Her parents died in a car accident when she was about 8, and she was playing at being a super hero with her dad directly before, so all the trauma and shock drove her rather insane. A doctor got her to believe that she temporarily lost her "powers" for some reason, and that she has to rest. Now, at 15, she has been shipped off to home after home, and is unhappy at all of them. She also still thinks she can walk through walls, and at the few homes that she likes, she tells the parents, and they send her straight back.
Anyway, that's Betsy's Story. (The name of the play, BTW).
Please give feedback on:
a) How to get rid of writer's chasm.
b) The fragment of the plot of the play.
-Shadow
I actually wrote a blog post about this a while back. http://thewordnebula-phoenix.blogspot.com/2011/12/writers-block.html
ReplyDeleteAnd it really depends on you - I feel like taking a break helps a lot more than forcing yourself to write. Now these tips might really unhelpful. If so, sorry!
empack ratsel
Hey, uh, Nix? that link you gave me doesn't seem to be working. And I just scoured your blog archive and found nothing. So...
ReplyDeleteEr, really? Do you mean it isn't hyperlinking or when you paste it into your browser bar it doesn't come up with anything? Because I just tried c/p and it worked . . . dunno why it isn't working for you.
ReplyDeleteIf ya wanna try my archive again, it should be in December 2011, between "The Last Days of School" and "Sleep Deprivation."
laturter erentele
OK, it worked the second time...weird. The first time it said "Page not found" with c/p. Useful info. I wish I could take a vacation :P
ReplyDelete